One of my favorite things about cocktail time are the little nibbles to go along with the cocktails. And one of my favorite nibbles are the Union Square Cafe Nuts from the restaurant of the same name and Nigella Lawson’s Nigella Bites. These are yummy with cocktails or just watching television. I usually have a bag in the freezer for those emergency cocktail times!
The Union Square Cafe’s Bar Nuts
- 2 1/4 cups (18-ounces) assorted unsalted nuts, including peeled peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans and whole unpeeled almonds
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Maldon or other sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
NOTE: Trader Joe’s makes a great nut mix that is perfect for this. One bag is perfect for one batch!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
NOTE: If you buy nuts separately, mix them together before putting them on the baking sheet.
In a large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, sugar, salt and melted butter. Once toasted, thoroughly toss the toasted nuts in the spiced butter and serve warm. And once you eat these, you will never want to stop.